Image Map

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Butterfinger Cookie Dough Truffles-12 Days of Christmas Treats


This is the last Christmas Treat post for this holiday season.  I have mentioned before that I love Butterfinger candy bars and that I found I could buy a 3-lb. bag of crushed Butterfingers at my local Cash and Carry.  Now it is so easy to keep Butterfinger candy around to make goodies with.

Butterfinger Cookie Dough Truffles may just  be my favorite recipe of the recipes I have posted this year.  I found a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles over at Food Network along with some other cookie dough truffle recipes.  I immediately thought that I could make the truffles with my crushed Butterfingers instead of chocolate chips.  The original recipe used yogurt, but I only had sour cream so I used that instead.  I also doubled the recipe because I wanted to make lots of truffles.  The  dough balls can be dipped in either semisweet or milk chocolate.

The cookie dough balls can be made ahead.  Just put the baking sheet of balls in the freezer  until frozen and then put the balls into a zip-top bag.  Remove the balls, put them back on a baking sheet and thaw in the refrigerator overnight.  They can be then be dipped.  The recipe says that the truffles will keep 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.   I am going to put mine in the freezer for longer storage.

If you have a Butterfinger or cookie dough lover in your house, give these a try.  I think you will be glad you did.


Butterfinger Cookie Dough Truffles
adapted from Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles from Food Network
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated white sugar
1/4 c. sour cream or yogurt
1 t. vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. crushed Butterfinger candy bars, about 6 fun-size bars
1 pkg. (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate chips
3 T. vegetable shortening or coconut oil

Place butter, brown sugar, white sugar, sour cream or yogurt, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl.  With the mixer on medium-high speed, mix until well combined, about 2 minutes.  Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl.  Stir in the crushed Butterfingers and combine well.  Add flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture.  The mixture will be stiff.  Use your hands to combine the dough if it becomes too stiff for the mixer.  Place tablespoonfuls of dough (I use my cookie scoop) onto a waxed or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  Roll mounds into smooth balls.  Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.  When ready to dip the balls, place chocolate chips and shortening or coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl.  Heat in microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until the mixture is smooth and thin.  Drop a few chilled balls in the chocolate and roll them around until coated.  Remove each ball with a fork, letting any excess coating drip off and  place back on baking sheet.  (If coating begins to harden microwave a few seconds more to thin out.)  Refrigerate the truffles until the coating is completely set, about 1 hour.  The truffles can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator up to 5 days.)  Makes 60 truffles.


Linking to Weekend Potluck

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...