Image Map

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Homemade Celery Salt-Almost Free

Whenever I came across a recipe that called for celery salt, I never seemed to have any on hand.  I would look at the price of celery salt in the grocery and wince.  Since hubby does not like celery leaves in soups and such, I would throw the leaves away and feel guilty for wasting food.

Then one day I decided to try to dry my celery leaves and a way to make Homemade Celery Salt was born.  Now I can have celery salt whenever I need it, save money and not waste food.  It turned out to be so easy that I almost did not believe it.

See all the beautiful leaves on the celery stalk above.  Just snip them off as you use celery and place in a shallow pie pan.  If you have a pan that has holes in it, that is best.  Discard any leaves that are wilted or discolored.  Just place the pie pan in an out-of-the-way place in you kitchen and let the leaves dry.  This will take several days.

When the leaves are dry, store them in a zip-top bag.  Continue to add leaves to the pie pan as you use the celery.  When you get to the heart of the celery you will have quite a few leaves to put in your pie pan and may need to use two pans.  You always want the leaves to be in a single layer.  Continue to add the dried leaves to the zip top bag.

When there is about one-half cup of dried leaves, that will be enough to process in a spice grinder or a mini food processor.  That amount will yield about 1 1/2 T. of ground celery powder.  To make celery salt, mix the powder with an equal amount of salt.  Rather than make a large batch of celery salt, I just store the celery powder in an air-tight container and mix it with the salt as needed.  This way I can use the celery powder by itself if I want to.  Try this and enjoy “almost free”  homemade celery salt.

Linking to:  Weekend Potluck
Strut Your Stuff

4 comments:

  1. You are brilliant Loy! I've never heard of such a thing, but it's so practical, frugal and tasty too, I'm sure. I have just begun using the tops and ends of the celery, along with any carrot peelings, to make a veggie broth. I just toss it all in a pot and boil for atleast 30 minutes. Makes a great broth for soup. Thanks so much for sharing this very clever idea. I'm gonna do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought celery salt was a mixture of celery seeds and salt. Now that you've told me how to make my own, I will do that when my bottle runs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are right. Celery salt is a mixture of ground celery seeds and salt. However, here I was looking for a use for something that I would normally throw out. You could use a ratio of 2/3 of the ground, dried celery to 1/3 salt for a stronger flavor. Thanks for your comment and stopping by my blog. Have a great week.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...