Image Map

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cashew Oatmeal Blondies

IMG_1013-1

I had half a can of cashews left from making the chicken last weekend so decided to make some cookies.  I really love bar cookies as they are so quick and easy.   I wanted some oatmeal in the cookies, but couldn't  find a recipe for what I wanted.  I took a basic blondie recipe that I use and adapted it.

These are a sturdy, chew blondie with a hint of oatmeal and the crunch of the cashews.  They would go well in lunch boxes.  They are not overly sweet since I reduced the amount of sugar called for in the original recipe.  For sweeter bars increase the sugar to 1 3/4 to 2 c.   I prefer dark brown sugar in these, but light can be used.  Do not over bake them.

Cashew Oatmeal Blondies
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed (dark brown sugar preferred)
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 c. quick oats
3/4 c. coarsely chopped cashews

Melt butter in a large saucepan on the stove or in a microwave safe dish in the microwave.  Stir in brown sugar.  Beat egg slightly and add to butter/sugar mixture.  Stir in vanilla.  Combine flour and baking powder.  Add and mix well.  Stir in oats and nuts.  Mix well.  Mixture will be thick.  Turn mixture into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan.  Dampen your hand and press out evenly if necessary.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Do not over bake.  Cool in pan on rack.  Cut into squares.  Makes about 36.  Store in zip-top bag.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm, good! Thanks for sharing.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound amazingly wonderful! Love how you adapted the recipe...I'm gonna try these. I love oatmeal in my cookies too, and the cashews would add a delightful crunch. Thanks for sharing -

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...